By Lauren Balster
With spooky season already upon us, and Halloween just around the corner, it is absolutely essential that we're all getting prepared for this wicked holiday season. Whether you like Halloween, or are just along for the ride, now is the time to cross these things off your list to have the spookiest Halloween possible!
Just to provide a little history; Halloween was originally celebrated over 2,000 years ago by the Celtic people in the festival of Samhain. This was the time in between the summer harvest ending and the dark winter days approaching- which was often associated with blurred boundaries of the living and the dead. During this festival, the Celts would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. (https://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween).
We still continue these traditions in present day, with the additions of trick-or-treating, carving pumpkins and other festivities. Here are just a few ways to get in the spirit and kick off your Halloween season:
1. Carve a pumpkin (the seeds inside are a good snack after baking them)
2. Make caramel apples (yum!)
3. Decorate with spooky home décor
4. Buy candy for potential trick-or-treaters (or for yourself)
5. Watch spooky movies
6. Buy a costume or make your own! (the more creativity the better)
7. Make Halloween crafts
8. Bake Halloween- inspired goods
9. Visit a pumpkin patch
10. Go to a haunted house (within the COVID guidelines)